Our doctors can identify signs and symptoms of bipolar disorder and can treat primarily by prescribing medications. An ongoing therapy is recommended to make it more effective.
Psychosis is a loss of contact with reality, usually including false beliefs about what is taking place and seeing or hearing things that aren’t there (hallucinations).
CAUSES OF PSYCHOSIS:
- Alcohol and certain illegal drugs, both during use and during withdrawal
- Brain tumors or cysts
- Dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease)
- Degenerative brain diseases, such as Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and certain chromosomal disorders
- HIV and other infections that affect the brain
- Some prescription drugs, such as steroids and stimulants
- Some types of epilepsy
SYMPTOMS OF PSYCHOSIS:
- Disorganized thought and speech
- False beliefs that are not based in reality (delusions), especially unfounded fear or suspicion
- Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)
- Thoughts that “jump” between unrelated topics (disordered thinking)